The following symptoms may be found in hyperglycaemia, where 3 of the first symptoms is a classic triad of symptoms of hyperglycemia:
- Polyphagia (frequent hunger)
- Polydipsia (frequently thirsty)
- Polyuria (frequent urination)
- Vision shaded
- Weakness and feeling sleepy
- Weight loss
- Wounds difficult to heal
- Dry mouth
- Recurrent infections
- Cardiac arrhythmias
Nursing Assessment for Hyperglycemia
1 Activity / Rest
- Symptoms: Weakness, fatigue, difficult to move / run. Muscle cramps, decreased muscle tone. Impaired sleep / rest.
- Signs: tachycardia and tachypnea in the state of rest or with activity.
- Symptoms: A history of hypertension; Acute MI. Claudication, numbness, and tingling in the extremities.
- Foot ulcers, healing old.
- Signs: Tachycardia. Postural changes in blood pressure; hypertension. Decreased pulse / no
- Dysrhythmias. Crackles; DVJ (CHF). Skin hot, dry, and redness; sunken eyeballs.
3 Ego Integrity
- Symptoms: Stress; dependent on others. Financial problems associated with the condition.
- Signs: Anxiety, sensitive excitatory.
- Symptoms: Changes in the pattern of urination (polyuria), nocturia. Pain / burning, difficulty urinating (infection), the new UTI / repetitive. Abdominal tenderness. Diarrhea.
- Signs: dilute urine, pale, yellow; polyuria (may progress to oliguria / anuria in case of severe hypovolemia).
- Misty urine, foul smell (infection). Abdomen hard, the presence of ascites. Weak and decreased bowel sounds; hyperactive (diarrhea).
- Symptoms: Loss of appetite. Nausea / vomiting. Do not follow the diet; increase in input glucose / carbohydrate. Weight loss over a period of several days / weeks. Thirsty. The use of diuretics (thiazides).
- Signs: Dry skin / scaly, ugly tugor. Stiffness / abdominal distension, vomiting. Enlargement of the thyroid (increased metabolic demand with increased blood sugar). Odor halotosis / sweet, fruit odor (acetone breath).
- Symptoms: Dizziness / reel. Headaches. Tingling, numbness weakness in the muscles. Paresthesias.
- Visual impairment.
- Signs: Disorientation; drowsiness, lethargy, stupor / coma (advanced stage). Memory impairment (new, past); mentally screwed. Deep tendon reflexes, decreased (coma). Seizure activity.
7 Pain / Leisure
- Symptoms: Abdominal tension / pain (moderate / severe).
- Signs: face grimacing with palpitations; looks to be very careful.
- Symptoms: Feeling a lack of oxygen, cough with / without sputum purulent (depending on the presence of infection / no).
- Signs: Hungry air. Cough, with / without purulent sputum (infection). Respiratory frequency.
- Symptoms: Dry skin, itching; skin ulcers.
- Signs: fever, diaphoresis. Damaged skin, lesion / ulceration. Decreased general strength / range of motion.
- Paresthesia / paralysis of muscles, including respiratory muscles (if potassium levels decreased with quite sharp).
- Symptoms: vaginal discharge (likely an infection). Impotence problem in men; orgasm difficulties in women.
Nursing Diagnosis for for Hyperglycemia
- Deficient Fluid Volume
- Imbalanced Nutrition: Less Than Body requiremen.
- Risk for Infection.
- Risk for Disturbed Sensory Perception
- Knowledge Deficit (learn) about the disease, prognosis, and treatment needs.